Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year

Genesis 1:1-2

Well, an old year is gone and a new one has officially begun. What does 2007 hold for you? Better yet, what plans of old has God now set in motion to be fulfilled in your life this year?

It didn't start out so well for the Sooners. What a mess they found themselves in last night. We were all so excited about having Adrian Peterson back...even though we played better with him on the injured list. "We, we, we." You'd think I (or we) were also wearing shoulder pads last night in Scottsdale.

At least for the Sooners, yesterday was the END of a season. There will be no looking back. The seniors will graduate. The recruiting team will be hard at work to get the cream of the high school crop signed. The coaches will be doodling in their playbooks. There will be a brand new season coming fast. No looking back to last season--only a fresh start with every other team at 0 wins and 0 losses.

As I start another year by beginning again to read the Bible through, I'm struck with the glory and beauty and majesty of Creation. I haven't preached many sermons on Creation because I just can't wrap my mind around it. Genesis 1 makes it sound so simple--6 days and poof, it's all done. As simple as Creation was for our endless God, to meditate upon the stars in the skies and Grand Canyon and the tiny molecules that hold all things in place--it is much more than just impressive. Creation is incomprehensible. And yet in the midst of such glory, we find a Creator that is very much personal with the apex of Creation--man. They talk. They walk. God even senses a need for man to have a companion--and poof!

Without much pontification or Creation exposition--such is beyond the scope of my comprehension--I must simply meditate on the glory of God's Creative power and the beauty of God's personal love for man. A season has gone--2006--with all of it's baggage (good and bad). A new season is here. I have no ability to create a beautiful scene in the next 12 months--but God can. And with the heart of love for His people, God--as I surrender my life to Him--can and will create a beautiful scene with my life in 2007.

I pray you join me in committing 2007 to the canvas of God's personal and creative agenda for our lives.