Monday, October 30, 2006

Jesus Is Beautiful

Colossians 1:1-14

On Wednesday, my mom had a memorable experience at Grandad's bedside. At a moment of great pain and deep confusion, the conversation is worth repeating...

"Daddy, what do you see?"

"Heaven."

"What does it look like?"

"It's beautiful."

"Daddy, can you see Jesus?"

"Yes."

"What does He look like?"

"Oh, He's beautiful."

I want to see all of Jesus' beauty. My devotional times (and therefore this blog) for the next little while will be devoted to that task. I ask you to join me in prayer and contemplation toward seeking this end. I'm convinced more and more that it requires all of us in community to discover such beauty; that learning about Jesus is not something that can happen merely by sitting in a sermon or lesson--it's in the community of believers where Christ moves and works and teaches and shows off His beauty.

Which leads me to another point entirely. This trek after the beauty of Christ which we embark upon today will begin by walking through Colossians. In reading part of Colossians this morning, I was reminded of the beauty of Christ in His community of people. And I must say, I am so grateful for the Immanuel community. This month has been "pastor appreciation month," and our congregation has blown me away with something special each Sunday in October. I am so grateful for all of you and believe God has brought us together for a special time. He is showing us His beauty juxtaposed against the lostness of Sequoyah County; and somehow, in some way, He is leading us in new directions that we and the other churches of Sallisaw might impact the 92% of our county that is unchurched (some 36,000 of 39,000). Let me tell you, there is no one I would rather be on mission with than Immanuel Baptist Church. I'm so grateful for you. Let me end by echoing the words that Paul wrote to the church at Colossae:

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

I love you all.