Tuesday, October 24, 2006

No Hope

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

It's been a difficult 10 days since my grandad went into the hospital. From fine to comatose twice each has been a hard thing to watch. Right now, with a hematoma on his brain from the fall he took 12 days ago, he is basically in an induced coma. The doctors had us call the family in on Sunday night, making us think that was it. But grandad is still hanging on. It's like we're just all sitting around his bed waiting for him to die.

After being unresponsive for two days, I decided to go home to sleep last night. Before I left his room I got right in his face and hollered at him. "Grandad, are you ready for some football?" Grandad and I are football fans and have spent many hours together yelling and screaming for the Sooners. He actually tried to respond for the first time. He grunted and rustled a bit. "We're all right here with you!" He tried to say something else. "I love you Grandad!" And then he mumbled "I love you."

I have never lost a loved one as close as my grandad. I've never before found myself next to a deathbed searching the Scriptures for comfort. I know to die is gain and to want grandad to stay here is selfish, but it's hard. I've read 1 Thessalonians 4 at literally hundreds of funerals. I've quoted it many, many times to church members as they said goodbye to loved ones. But never before in such a personal way has the Lord soothed me with His life-giving words.

The one short moment I had alone with grandad yesterday I told him, "I'll see you soon." What a welcome grandad will have when Jesus tells him, "Well done my good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your master." That is the hope we have as Christians. That is the finish we must set our eyes upon. That is what we live for.

How can anyone face death without that hope? We need not grieve like those without it, for our hope is in the eternal glory of Christ. He will see us all the way to Beulah.